WHY WE LOVE…Pure Linen.
Linen is considered a luxury fabric by many, whether it’s used the home or worn on the body. We at The Room Collection are firmly in the Pure Linen Fan Club for reasons other than luxury… Bit by bit, each of us converting our personal bedding collections to pure linen. When our linen tea towels and cushion orders arrive, we all have to have a good oogle over each different style and weave. And we’ve been known to love a linen napkin so much we framed it!
While the reasons for loving linen are many, here are five good ones:
Photo: Susan Gillespie
- Durability: Linen is woven from strong, thick flax fibres so the resulting fabric is more durable. Because of this thickness, linen bedding has a lower thread count than cotton sheets, and those threads don’t break down as quickly. In Europe, linen sheets are often handed down as heirlooms because they last so long.
- Hypo-allergenic – Linen has unique filtering, ventilating and moisture-wicking properties, all of which make it more “healthy” and anti-allergy than other fabric choices. Its absorbency means it makes fantastic tea towels and dish cloths that are less likely to smell over time (we offer some gorgeous ones!).
Photo: Natural Bed Collection
- Softness – Like most of us, linen improves with time. It gets softer and shinier with each washing, while maintaining its delicious drape.
- Environmentally friendly – Flax as a crop requires less chemicals and water to grow than cotton. That, along with the longevity of linen, makes it a very environmentally conscious choice.
Photo: Coco Lapine
- The wrinkles – Ohhhh those gorgeous, relaxed, inviting wrinkles. Linen bedding is at its best when rumpled and furrowed, with lots of pockets of cool air to poke your toes into.
Come and see us if you’d like to explore ways to get more of this practical and beautiful fabric in your home.
The Vegas Market Report
As ever, the 2017 Las Vegas summer buying market was vibrant and stimulating, exhilarating and exhausting. We scored us (and you) some great new things and we marvelled at many others. Below is our report on some of the fun and funky we saw throughout the show…
- Tufting and quilting – The tufting/quilting game continues strong this fall. This puffed, stitched look adds textural interest to any room and can look either luxurious or edgy, depending on the material. We love this quilted sofa, which is going into a business reception in Vernon soon!
- Muted Jewel Tones – As with every buying show, you can find almost any colour you look for. But the trend definitely leaned towards jewel tones, and their more muted sisters. Emerald and olive, navy and indigo, ruby and dusty rose – the richness and variety is delicious…
- Textural Textiles –Textures invite people to touch and connect with a space. As lovers of texture and layering, this trend suits us just FINE. There is such a wide range in available textiles these days and the beauty is, you can mix them all together! Velvet, linen, fur, hide, macramé – toss them in one spot and let your eyes and hands feast upon them…
- Green – Pantone named “Greenery” the colour of 2017, but 50 shades of green seems to be more the thang! Green in leather, green in velvet, green in botanicals, green in paintings. Forest, olive, teal, sea green, lime – you name it. It is a green scene out there…
- Handmade / Discovered Items – This trend is easy to understand as most people like to personalize their homes with unique and distinctive accessories. Handmade or discovered pieces offer “quirk” and individuality and often have a meaningful origin. Reworked African mud cloth cushions are one such hot item this season (and our order is en route!).
Photo: Restoration Hardware
Big White Project
SCOPE: Our clients, an Australian family, had owned and rented out their two-bed Big White condo for 15 years. They took it off the rental market and wanted to a complete refresh ready for it to be enjoyed by just family.
REQUIREMENTS: Fresh paint (excluding the trim), new wool carpets, some renovations in the closets and create a blackboard wall for writing messages. Source all new living room and dining room furniture (to seat 7), lighting and wall art, but keep the existing bedroom furniture (except for lamps). All new 100% linen bedding and locally made alpaca duvets for each bed.
STYLE: Modern mountain, with a heavy emphasis on texture and comfort; a palette of warm greys and creams; a hint of Mid-Century!
SPECIAL REQUESTS: A black and white gallery wall in the open living space (“Surprise me!” she said). LOTS of cushions on the uber-comfy sectional. All used furniture and accessories was to be donated to an organization that would get it to families in need (we chose Kelowna Mamas for Mamas). Leave it lightly decorated for the family to spend Christmas hols there.
If you’d like help with refurnishing or redecorating, and you love our style and our pieces, get in touch with us!
Photos by Sproing Creative
There’s a thing appearing in our store that many of you – and certainly we – never thought would be here. It’s the colour PINK. BLUSH PINK, to be exact. We still plant our flag on the “neutral colours” mountain, but this year we are a little taken with blush! And as you’ll have spotted, we’re not alone…
We’re sprinkling the store in this glowing, flushing shade of pink (just accessories – we’re not ready to commit to a sofa in it yet…). A toss cushion, a throw, glass lanterns on the dining table – just a few touches lend a warmth, a femininity and a modern edge to classic neutral décor.
Mix it with grey, gold, black, wood and hit of industrial – it all works beautifully.
Or pair it with teal to utterly sumptuous effect…
Come and see us if you’d like some help jumping on the ‘blush bandwagon’!
*all photos found on Pinterest, uncredited.
End of Summer Sale Extended Through Monday
Our End of Summer Sale has been extended through Monday, August 22. Visit us for savings of up to 60% on items throughout the store. We’ve added more items for the final weekend of the sale so stop by to stock up on hot summer savings!
What Goes On In Vegas Doesn’t Stay In Vegas!
If you read our last blog, you know we just hit Vegas for the huge home furnishings market. We saw some interesting things there, and we’re going to break Vegas rules and tell you about them…
The faux French vintage that has dominated buying shows for the last few years has firmly exited stage left, and in it’s place is – what shall we call it? Desert Chic? Aztec Midcentury? Organic Western? West Coast Bohemian?
Photo Credit to: liz_kamarul
Call it what you like, many of the booths we saw were dominated with skulls pictures and artifacts, Aztec and Moroccan patterned rugs, ethnic baskets of all shapes, macrame hangings (yes, macrame), succulents and cowhide everything.
Photo Credit to: loloirugs
Outside of that, concrete, geometrics, vintaged leather, black and white wall art and hits of industrial continue to play a part in this season’s decor.
Photo Credit to: fourhandsfurniture
We’ll be beginning the slow reveal of our Fall 2016 Collection next week. Swing by to see how desert-aztec-midcentury-bohemian-what-have-you makes itself known in our trademark soft Modern stylings…
Off To The Show We Go
People often ask us how we source our products. The answer is oodles of different ways! We watch for new suppliers in magazines and TV shows, on our holidays, on social media and, of course, from the annual buying shows. This weekend sees us hopping down to Las Vegas for the Home Furnishings Market (pictured above) – 5-million square feet of anything you can imagine to put in your house. We cover that distance in two days. Let me tell you, after that, our dogs are barkin’!
As we whiz through the show, we watch for items that have “The Room Collection” look and feel: softly modern; a little timeless and a little trendy; lots of texture and visual interest; the occasional dash of colour.
When we find something with potential, we ask ourselves “Do we love it?” – because it’s easiest to merchandise and promote things we love. But we also ask ourselves if YOU will love it. Will it be a nice addition to all that we know about your homes? If yes, we then check the price point to ensure we have some items that are great deals and some that are great investment pieces.
Our final review of our ordering is “are we seeing items as they AREN’T?”. Maybe we are making choices out of desperation to fill gaps in that season’s collection… Maybe we have had one too many complimentary glasses of wine…it is Vegas after all! That’s why we fine tooth comb every order when we get home, just to ensure we have a broad and beautiful range of things to present to you.
Sourcing new furniture and home decor is one of the great pleasures of our job. And we love it when you tell us if we’re getting it right (or wrong!). So check in with us in August to see what delights we have rustled up for Fall 2016. In the meantime, you can track our progress in Vegas via our Facebook and Instagram accounts. See you on the other side…
Job Posting – Retail Assistant
We have a position opening for a retail assistant and would like to hire you! Click here, to view the position details and how to apply.
Join us for our Grand Opening
Friday, April 29 – Friday, May 6, 2016
A week-long celebration in our new Downtown Vernon location. Special promotions, daily draws and check out our new furniture lines.
Join us in our new Downtown Vernon location. We’re so excited to have a new, larger location and invite you to visit us at 3401 30th Avenue, next to Triumph Coffee.